Name: St. Francis Xavier's Narrabri
Nandewar Street - current site
Nandewar Street - opposite to current site
Nandewar Street - current site (opened 1/2/1976)
and enrolled number of students:
Clare Keating rsj
Sarah Hogan rsj
Mary Hagan rsj
Kevin Furlong rsj
Maria Harres rsj
Johanna O'Sullivan rsj
Jenny Scally rsj
1880 the Parish of Narrabri was established and the building of a Church began
direction of the first resident priest,
Father Joseph Doyle.
1885, the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart established the first
school. Three sisters arrived and in July 1885 the
school opened with an enrolment of 100 students. A fourth sister arrived
later in the year. The founding Sisters were
Agnes Smith, Sr. Agatha Nolan and Sr. Alphonsa Kennedy with the fourth sister
possibly being Sr. Alberta Murphy.
1889, the Sisters of Mercy came to Narrabri and took over the administration of
the school. The Sisters of Mercy
were to remain in the school for 81 years.
1897, a new school was established on the block of land opposite to where the
present school is situated. All the primary classes were taught in this new
school, while the old school (situated where our present school is) became a
select school for Senior pupils.
1927, the present convent was built making an architectural addition to the
Catholic buildings and the town in general.
1933, the school enrolment was 270 pupils including both primary and secondary
1970, the Sisters of St Joseph returned to Narrabri.
1975, the present school was erected and was blessed by Bishop H J Kennedy and
opened by Hon J L Carrick, Minister for Education on 1st February, 1976.
In 2001 three extra classrooms were built and the Administration and staff room
Playground improvements have included the erection of
a shelter area, wooden playground equipment and a covering for the sandpit.
The Convent Chapel has been used as a classroom periodically for the last 20
The school presently caters for 11classes
and has an enrolment of 295.